Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waubojeeg's Unknown Daughter

I realize this post is a bit of a repeat - but it puts us back into Paul's direct lineage. I will pick up from where I had left off....

So it is noted that Chief Waubojeeg had 6 children...one of them with a name that is not known. It only figures that this would be the daughter that links into my husband's direct lineage.

This particular daughter married Francios desCarreaux a French fur trader. They married somewhere between Bayfield and Ashland and moved to Leech Lake MN to raise their family. We have a little information regarding Francios from a military journal by Alexander Henry and states the following:

"18, May 1804. One of my men Mr. Hesse, arrived from Red Lake in 13 days bringing 12 kegs of suagr and a few beaver skins. One of my men Des Carreaux was shot in the thigh by an Indian. The shot was intended for Mr. Cotten."

Francios and "Unknown Daughter of Waubojeeg" had 4 children: Susan, Marguerite, Henry and Mary. Francios' wife died shortly after the birth of Mary. Francios died at Leech Lake in 1816 and it was his wish they attend a mission school. All of the childred did except for the baby, Mary who was secreted away by her Grandmother up the Bad River to live with her Native people.

It is a matter of record that Chief Waubojeeg insisted that his daughters who married white men be married in the Roman Catholic church, but so far the Des Carreaux marriage record has not been found.

7 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog searching for Waubojeeg. I am descended from the line with the daughter who married Francois Descarreaux. The info I got from a cousin is that this daughter's name was Nawaquaygeshegequay. I can't confirm his sources but know he has spent a great deal of time on our family's genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasure to find your blog, As family historian I am asked to find and record my grandsons Indian heritage. after two weeks I located a great aunt and proved my worked, with her help I was able to locate Susan Des Carreaux and Ambrose Davenport, completing 9 generations , starting with Adelaide Duffiney grand daughter of Samuel LeBlanc and Josephine Davenport. I am now looking for records and pictures of these ancestors if any are out and would like to share. skardux@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your relative too! I am descended from this mystery daughter and Francois by way of thier daughter Susan who married Ambrose Davenport and kept the lighthouse on Mackinaw Island. So much fun to find you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m also descended from the same like as you. Ambrose is my 3x gg. As far as I knew, the mystery daughter’s name was Nawaquaygeshegequay Waishkey.

      Delete
  4. This is so exciting. We have just found out that we are also related to Susan and Ambrose Davenport. We are part of the Mosier/Dewey family. We live in the Detroit Metro area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 3xgreat grandmother was Susan Davenport. Grandas native name is O Ge Ma Quay. Translation Chief Woman. Ambrose Jr also was my 3x great grandfather. A trapper. My mother's maiden name is Davenport. I am attempting to locate copies of birth certificates, bile entries, documents on Susan. And documents on down from Susan to my mother. I have the names. Susan is buried on Mackinaw Island. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Very cool to locate family blood line.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete